+44 (0)20 3691 2088
Huw prides himself on a straight-talking, honest and realistic approach to costs, objectives and the prospects of success.
Educated at St John’s College Cambridge University, Huw worked for ten years as a litigator at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer and White & Case before working first as a partner in a regional firm, then forming his own boutique firm, which merged with Greenwoods GRM in 2012.
Huw heads the Greenwoods GRM Disputes team, which includes specialist sub-teams in Construction, Financial Services and Property Disputes, advising clients across all three of the firm’s offices.
Huw has a wealth of experience in commercial disputes of all kinds, many featuring complex or international elements. He has acted for clients in High Court proceedings, all the major arbitral forums and a number of specialist tribunals. He also regularly deals with claims involving injunctive relief. Clients include major companies, as well as smaller owner-managed businesses and individuals in the region, nationally and internationally.
Recent work has included:
- Acting for a leading individual in F1 (and related family companies) in proceedings relating to recovery of circa £300m.
- Defending a Bahamian/UK national in proceedings relating to alleged fraudulent misrepresentation arising out of a US$15m investment offering.
- Advising in relation to a claim in the oil & gas sector for recovery of circa £3m in unpaid consultancy fees.
- A claim for £2.5m brought against a major supermarket for breach of the Groceries Code arising from the termination of a supply agreement.
- Acting against a major bank in financial services/FOS proceedings arising out of fallout from the Swiss Franc/Euro currency peg.
- A number of unfair prejudice claims, acting for both petitioners and respondents: one arising from the sale of a construction business for circa £100m; another arising from the breakdown of a former motor racing/property investment business.
- An £8m claim arising from alleged MTIC fraud.
- Various injunctive relief claims as diverse as the recovery of a classic Ferrari (and subsequent proceedings in the Australian courts) and a Turkish/UK property fraud.
A Legal 500 ‘Leading Individual’ and ‘Ranked Lawyer’ in Chambers and Partners
Huw is consistently rated by Legal 500 and Chambers: “Superb, friendly and professional…a City-style service at Cambridge rates…Huw Wallis [is] sensible, helpful and to the point” and “straight-talking, realistic, with an impressive list of national and international clients”, “strong tactically, with an acute commercial nose”.
Huw has also hosted a webinar on the implementation of Damages Based Agreements (DBAs) for LexisNexis and has written extensively on the topic.
Huw is ranked in Legal 500 in the elite group of “leading lawyers” in his field. He maintains strong “best friend” referral relationships with a number of City firms.
In his spare time Huw still has time to captain a social cricket team, run a classic MGA and (loudly) support the Welsh rugby team.View whole team →