Join a law firm where the focus is on generating the ideal conditions for your success.
- Training Contracts: The Greenwoods GRM Experience
- Training Contracts: How to Apply
- Learning & Development
- Work Experience Placement
Your future with Greenwoods GRM
We are a fast-growing commercial firm based in London, Peterborough and Cambridge, with an excellent reputation built on a regional, national and international client base. We pride ourselves on a “City level” of quality and responsiveness built on high calibre lawyers, but marked by a personal approach. This, combined with a realistic approach to pricing, delivers a law firm that many household name clients find a very effective solution to legal needs.
This is what makes us different:
- We make sure everyone understands our vision and strategy and provide regular updates on progress.
- Your contribution is valued, your opinion counts, you are rewarded for making a strong contribution. Success is celebrated.
- The legal services market is competitive. We welcome this; it drives us to be innovative, creative and entrepreneurial – qualities we value, encourage and support.
- We use technology to help us do our job better, not as a replacement for human contact!
- Excellent Client Service is a must for us. We work to develop our people and management skills, as well as technical legal skills.
- Our approach is to be pro-active, look for solutions, rather than focus on problems.
- Positive results in the “Best Companies to Work For” survey confirm our strong supportive culture, leadership and an open management style.
We want people who are hard-working, commercial, ambitious and enthusiastic. You must strive for excellence in everything you do, and be committed to giving practical business advice that helps improve our clients’ businesses.
If you’d like to join our team, please review our current vacancies.
We currently have the following vacancies:
Corporate & Commercial
Senior Level Lawyer / Director (Cambridge)
If you would like an informal and confidential discussion on any of the positions, please contact Sophie Easteal on +44 (0)1733 887606. She will be happy to answer any questions you may have or arrange a confidential chat with one of the team at a time to suit you.
We are always keen to hear from lawyers with a passion for client service, a portable client following and looking to develop their career in a dynamic and progressive business. If we don’t have a vacancy that matches what you are looking for please send a covering letter and a copy of your CV to email@example.com.
We operate a preferred supplier list for agencies. Please do not contact us if your agency does not hold this status.
Our trainee solicitors are key to our future success. We invest time and energy to ensure we offer the ideal conditions for your success.
Read more about our current trainee’s experiences:
Why Greenwoods GRM?
We are looking for hardworking, tenacious and fun trainees to join our team. Our focus is on being ‘Lawyers you’ll enjoy working with’. Creating the ideal conditions for everyone at Greenwoods GRM to succeed is a key element of delivering this – and we invest in doing so.
We know that if we look after our people, our people will look after our clients. We know our vision is working as, in addition to a long history as Peterborough’s largest commercial firm, we have expanded rapidly in recent years with new offices in Cambridge and London. Further expansion is planned. Our Best Companies results provide further proof of our success in delivering our vision – we’ve consistently been given 1 or 2 star ratings over several years.
We are a contemporary legal practice; our investment in people reflects that. As a result, you will:
- Have the opportunity to work with a great portfolio of interesting and significant projects.
- Enjoy a competitive salary and access to the firm’s discretionary bonus scheme.
- Be welcomed into a professional but fun working culture – we are “Lawyers you’ll enjoy working with”.
- Be part of a vibrant social environment – we encourage you to get involved with our Social and Charity committees, and we regularly arrange social events.
- Be supported by a system of regular appraisals to ensure you have all that you need to thrive at Greenwoods GRM.
- Be part of a Best Companies ‘2 star organisation’ accredited by the organisation behind the ‘Sunday Times Best Companies to Work For’ lists.
- Be part of a firm where 40% of current directors trained and qualified with us, and where the trainee retention rate on qualification is high – on average around 3 out of 4 remain with us.
- You will usually experience four seats, spending six months in each. Sometimes, for each seat, you may be allocated to two of the firm’s departments. Our departments are Corporate and Commercial, Regulatory and Compliance, Employment & Employee Benefits, Commercial Property, Disputes, Property Litigation, Construction, and Private Client.
- Our trainee solicitors are encouraged to participate in meetings, attend court and tribunal hearings, attend internal training sessions and participate in seminars and other marketing activity. Trainees tell us that the level of client contact they receive really sets us apart.
You will be supervised by our training principal and will also have a supervisor in each seat you undertake. Your training will be delivered in accordance with the requirements of the Solicitors Regulation Authority.
You will receive a formal appraisal twice during each seat. As a result, you can be certain, you are receiving the breadth and depth of training you need.
When is the deadline?
Applications must be sent before 31 July two years prior to the start date for which you are applying. For example, to join us in 2020 your application must be submitted by 31 July 2018.
If we sound like the right firm for you, see our application page for more details.
How to apply
Our training contracts begin in September each year.
Please send your CV with a covering letter to Rosa Preston
Or send by post to Greenwoods GRM LLP, Monkstone House, City Road, Peterborough, PE1 1JE.
Please ensure that your application gives details of your actual or predicted degree class and A-Level, or equivalent, grades. Although it is not a requirement, please feel free to tell us about the ‘real you’. We look forward to hearing about work experience you have undertaken and interests and hobbies you may have.
The application procedure
- We will write to you to confirm that your application has been received.
- All applications are reviewed in September and a shortlist drawn up. We will write to let you know whether you have been shortlisted.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to attend an initial half day assessment, which will normally take place later on in the year. This first assessment includes an interview and a research exercise, and provides an opportunity for you to find out more about Greenwoods GRM. The day also includes lunch with our current trainee solicitors.
- Successful candidates from the initial assessment session will be invited to return for a second assessment day. On this second day you will be asked to prepare and deliver a short presentation. There will also be a further interview and an opportunity to have lunch with some of our Partners.
- Within two weeks of the second assessment day we will contact you to let you know whether you will be offered a training contract. If you are successful, a formal offer letter will be sent to you.
To be part of a firm that regards its trainees as a vital resource and key to current and future success, apply now.
At Greenwoods GRM, we love learning. We have been shortlisted for four learning based awards over the past 5 years, both industry specific and Business Awards
We provide a range of training opportunities; continuing professional development, further professional qualifications applicable to your work area and, often most importantly, practical business training.
We believe that building trust and rapport with our clients is imperative in building our business, and providing our lawyers with the practical skills to do this is key to achieving.
Our business training includes:
- Effective professional communication
- Presentation skills
- Business development
- Financial management
Training needs are identified through our appraisal process, and employee’s development plans are drawn up. Progression within the firm is set out clearly and delivery of objectives forms an important part of that progression.
If you have the drive, ambition and understanding of our culture, and can deliver great results, you will succeed here.
What’s it really like working in law firm? Apply for a work experience placement to find out.
We offer work experience placements to students during the summer months (usually June to August) every year.
The duration of each placement is one week. During this week, work experience students will be given a schedule allowing them time to work in different departments to gain a real taste of several areas of law at Greenwoods GRM. They may be required to undertake research, draft responses or shadow a solicitor in client meetings and they may even have the opportunity to visit court with one of our solicitors.
Work experience placements are ideally suited to those who have studied or are currently studying law or something similar at university, or to those who are looking to convert to law having studied a different subject at university.
Applications for summer work experience placements must be submitted by 31 January for placements during the following June to August. To apply, please send your CV with a covering letter to Rosa Preston, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or post to Monkstone House, City Road, Peterborough, PE1 1JE. Please ensure that your application gives details of your actual or predicted degree grade, as well as GCSE and A-Level grades or the equivalent, where applicable. Although it is not a requirement, do feel free to tell us a bit about the ‘real you’ and any interests and hobbies you may have.
When we have received your CV and letter, we will email you to let you know they have been received. Your application will be reviewed and if you are successful you will be given a work experience placement date. Please note that we do receive a high volume of applications and if you are not successful initially, do not let that deter you from applying for future placements. All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application by the beginning of May.
Get in touch with us